Family & Marriage Therapy: Top 7 Ways To Save A Failing Marriage
Have you found yourself in a marriage struggling to stay afloat? You are not alone. Many couples go through these rough patches. It is not always smooth sailing. Over time, conflicts, misunderstandings, and other challenges can erode the foundation of trust and intimacy.
But a failing marriage doesn’t mean that it’s beyond repair. With the right mindset, willingness to change, and commitment to growth, you can turn things around and revitalize your connection with your partner.
In this post, we will explore some top ways to do so and breathe new life into your relationship.
Can my marriage be saved?
When faced with challenges in a marriage, many couples wonder if their relationship can be saved. While there are no guarantees, it’s essential to address common issues that can bring a huge rift between partners and cause them to ask that question.
Here are some of them:
- Neglect: Prolonged neglect can strain a marriage, leaving partners feeling disconnected and unfulfilled. However, if both partners are willing to acknowledge the neglect and commit to making changes, there is hope for rebuilding the relationship. This involves open communication, identifying and addressing underlying issues, and dedicating time and effort to reconnecting emotionally.
- Infidelity: This can be devastating to a marriage, eroding trust and causing immense pain. Rebuilding a marriage after infidelity is challenging but not impossible. Both partners must be committed to healing, seeking professional help such as couple’s therapy, and working through the complex emotions and underlying issues that contributed to the betrayal.
- Addictions: Does either one of you suffer from substance abuse, gambling, or pornography addiction? Through effort, resolve, and mutual care, recovery, and marital restoration after addiction are possible. Regardless of whether it’s one or both partners facing substance issues, hope exists.
- Sexual intimacy: Over time, as your relationship matures, it’s common for sexual passion to wane. Various factors could contribute to a decline in sexual intimacy between you and your partner. Regardless of the cause, this decrease often leads to typical relationship challenges. Take a moment and be grateful for the person you get to lay your head down next to and try to be more understanding. Maybe you just need to try something new and think about those intimate moments that you had when you were first together, this may bring out lost feelings that have been hiding.
Some of these issues can result from a mistake or a habit developed over time. If it was a mistake and the issues aren’t as deep, then it is easy to save that marriage.
Here is how to save your marriage
Do you want to save your marriage even though it may appear to be sinking? It is all in the simple things that most couples forget.
Let’s remind you again:
- Take responsibility
Taking responsibility means acknowledging your contributions to the problems in your marriage. It involves being honest with yourself and your partner about your mistakes, shortcomings, and areas where you can improve.
Doing so shows a willingness to change and grow, which is essential for repairing a failing marriage. This step also involves actively finding solutions and making positive changes to rebuild trust and strengthen your relationship.
- Identify underlying issues
To save a failing marriage, it’s crucial to take note and address the underlying issues that have contributed to its decline. This involves open and honest communication with your partner, where you both express your feelings, concerns, and needs.
By understanding the root causes of conflicts or dissatisfaction, you can work together to find solutions and make necessary changes. It may be helpful to seek the guidance of a professional marriage therapist like Jousline Savra, who can facilitate more profound conversations. Through her expert marriage counseling processes, you and your partner will thrive again.
- Learn the art of forgiveness
Forgiveness is a powerful tool in saving a failing marriage. It involves letting go of resentment, grudges, and past hurts, and allowing space for healing and growth.
Forgiving your partner and yourself requires empathy, understanding, and a commitment to moving forward. It doesn’t mean forgetting or condoning the actions that led to the hurt, but instead choosing to release the negative emotions that can hinder progress.
Learning to forgive and offering forgiveness can create an atmosphere of compassion, allowing both partners to heal and rebuild trust.
- Act gently with your partner
When working to save your marriage, approach your interactions with kindness and gentleness. This means being mindful of your words and actions, avoiding harsh criticism or blame, and showing empathy toward your partner’s feelings.
Use words and phrases like:
- “I understand that this is a sensitive topic. Let’s discuss it calmly and respectfully.”
- “I’m here for you. How can I support you through this?”
- “Let’s find a solution together that considers our perspectives.”
- “I value your feelings and want to create a safe space for open communication.”
Acting gently fosters a safe and supportive environment where open communication and understanding can thrive.
- Don’t assume things
Are you fond of assuming things and judging your partner based on assumptions? Well, that will not work for a failing marriage. It can lead to misunderstandings and further strain.
Instead of making assumptions about your partner’s intentions or thoughts, practice active listening and ask for clarification when needed. This fosters better communication and prevents unnecessary conflicts.
- Prioritize it
Saving a failing marriage requires intentional effort and commitment. Make your marriage a priority by dedicating time and energy to work on it.
This may involve setting aside regular date nights, attending couples therapy sessions, or engaging in activities that strengthen your bond.
Prioritizing your marriage sends a message to your partner that you value the relationship and are willing to invest in its growth and well-being.
- Improve intimacy
Intimacy goes beyond physical affection and includes emotional connection and deep understanding between partners.
To save your marriage, focus on improving intimacy by engaging in heartfelt conversations, expressing love and appreciation, and being vulnerable with each other.
This can help rekindle the spark and create a stronger foundation for your relationship.
- Allow space for your partner to cool down
During heated arguments or conflicts, it’s essential to recognize when your partner needs space to calm down. Pushing for resolution amid heightened emotions can escalate tensions.
Instead, give your partner time and space to cool down and collect their thoughts. This allows for a more productive and constructive discussion once both parties are calmer and more receptive.
- Spend time together
Spending quality time together is vital for rebuilding a failing marriage. Make an effort to engage in activities that you both enjoy.
Here are some things you can do:
- Limit excessive texting and calling when you are together, and prioritize quality time for face-to-face interaction.
- Plan regular date nights or outings to nurture the bond outside of daily routines.
- Cook and prepare meals together to foster teamwork and shared experiences.
- Practice active listening and engage in meaningful conversations to strengthen the emotional connection.
- Show appreciation and affection through small gestures and acts of kindness in daily interactions.
Whether it’s going for walks, sharing hobbies, or simply having meaningful conversations, investing time in each other strengthens the bond and fosters a sense of togetherness.
Can you save my failing marriage?
Yes, you can. You can work together through personalized marriage counseling sessions with Jousline Savra to address the underlying issues, improve communication, foster emotional connection, and develop practical strategies for overcoming obstacles.
She believes that your failing marriage can be transformed with commitment, open-mindedness, and professional assistance.
Jousline is here to listen, understand, and guide you toward a happier and more loving future together. Your marriage is worth fighting for. Don’t wait, get started today.